All you need to know about National Identity Number (NIN) from usefulness to method of application. See How you can retrieve your lost National Identity Number (NIN).
In this article we are going to be looking exclusive in the process on how you can register for your National Identity Number (NIN). The is post find answers to the following question been ask by users.
- What is the meaning of national identity number?
- How do I find my NIN number?
- What are the requirements for national identity card?
- Can I apply for national identity card online?
- Which bank is doing national ID card?
- How can I retrieve my NIN code?
What is the Meaning of National Identity Number (NIN) or National ID?
The National Identification Number (NIN) is the unique number which identifies you as a Nigerian, and is issued to you upon enrollment by NIMC (the National Identity Management Commission). It is used to match your biometric data and other details in the National Identity Database during verification and authentication.
You may want to Check these opportunities before you proceed:
- LEAP Africa Graduate NYSC Internship Programme 2021 for Young Nigerians
- Shell Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme 2021 | Fully Funded to Study in UK
- Google Africa PhD Fellowship Program 2021 for Graduate Students | Up to USD $30,000 Reward
- World Bank Group and Financial Times Joint Global Blog/Essay Writing Competition 2021
- Jemila Abubakar Memorial Essay Competition 2021 for Nigerian Students [ Up to N125,000 in Cash Prizes]
- The National Identification Number (NIN) consists of 11 non- intelligible numbers randomly chosen and assigned to an individual at the completion of enrolment into the National Identity Database (NIDB).
- Once a NIN is assigned to an individual, it can never be reassigned, given or used by another person – that makes it unique in nature.
- In the case of the demise of an individual, his/her NIN is retired once a death certificate is presented to the Commission and the individual’s death is established.
- The NIN is used to tie all records about an individual in the database and is also used to establish or verify his/her identity.
- All citizens and legal residents in Nigeria, from age zero (birth) and above are eligible to enrol for their NINs.
- The NIN should be closely guarded by individuals and not revealed to all and sundry except to relevant authorities when requested (for instance it shouldn’t be disclosed online over social media and should not be printed along with contact details on business cards or other office stationery).
NIN Useful Links
- National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) Enrolment Centres
- How to Link your NIN to your MTN, 9MOBILE AIRTEL & GLO Mobile Number
Why You Need Your National Identification Number (NIN).
If you have a phone number so people can contact you. why not get your National Identification Number so people can IDENTIFY you.
The National Identification Number (NIN) is the unique number which identifies you for life and is issued to you by NIMC after your enrolment.
It is used to match you with your biometric data and other details in the National Identity Database during verification and authentication.
The NIN is set to be used for all transactions in Nigeria requiring identity verification so you’ll be using your NIN for
- obtaining your National e-ID card
- travel (international passport application & acquisition)
- opening personal bank accounts
- getting your driver’s license
- obtaining your Permanent Voters’ Card
- participating in the National Health Insurance Scheme
- payment of your taxes
- transactions related to your contributory pension scheme
- access to welfare and other relevant services from the Nigerian Government
- transactions with social security implications
- land transactions subject to the Land Use Act
- any other transactions NIMC may so prescribe and list in the Federal Government Gazette
NIMC is engaged in harmonization and integration of data with various agencies across Nigeria who deal with the various services above to ensure smooth coordination of activities.
How do I Enrol for National Identity Number (NIN)?
NIN Enrolment consists of the recording of an individual’s demographic data and capture of the ten (10) fingerprints, head-to-shoulder facial picture and digital signature, which are all used to cross-check existing data in the National Identity Database to confirm that there is no previous entry of the same data.
It is very important that you apply on the NIMC Pre Enrolment Portal and follow the process as defined for applying for National Identification Number.
Please note that applicants in requirement of assistance with Enrolment Form have an option to visit the Enrolment Centre where they will be assisted by a Support Officer in correctly filling the Enrolment Form with the required information.
What are the Requirements for National Identity Card?
If you have any of the following documents (just one), then you are good to go. If you don’t have any, then it is easy for you to get a Birth certificate or local government of origin. You can do that within two days.
- Driver’s License
- Voter’s card (Temporary or Permanent)
- Nigerian International passport
- Certificate of Local Government of Origin
- Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
- Birth certificate
- Declaration of age
- Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
- NHIS ID card
- Government staff ID card
- Registered/recognized private organization staff ID card
- School ID Card (private/public)
- Tax Clearance certificate
- Valid immigration documents
Fill up the pre-enrolment form online, download and print Pre Enrolment Slip
- Fill the NIMC Pre Enrolment online form by visiting Pre Enrolment Portal
- All the mandatory fields need to be completely filled with correct information.
- Download and print your Pre Enrolment Slip
Submit Your Application
- Walk into the nearest NIMC Registration Centre with any one of the following Original and Valid supporting documents.
- At Enrolment Center you will be directed to a counter where our Enrolment Officer will verify the presence and compliance of all details of your application.
- If your application is in order, Enrolment officer will guide you to proceed with the capture of biometrics (ten finger prints and facial image) and you will collect the Transaction ID Slip as an evidence of the transaction.
- Applicants who cannot read nor write should be accompanied by a literate individual who can do the form filling for him/her.
- Minor applicants should be accompanied by parents / guardians can do the form filling for them.
- Minor applicants should only bring original and valid birth certificate and NIN slip of one of the Nigerian Parent / Guardian.
- The normal time frame for issuance of National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is 2 to 3 working days from the time the biometric details are captured at enrolment centers.
- The issuance of NIN may take longer in certain cases due to validation of details at NIMC. VFS has no role to play to expedite for such cases.
- The Transaction ID Slip is required to be stored carefully by applicant as it is required to be presented at the time of collection of NIN Slip indicating completion of enrolment.
Collection of the National Identity Card Number and Slip
At the completion of the enrolment process, applicant will be issued two (2) slips:(a) Transaction Slip(b) NIN Slip indicating completion of enrolment.
- Applicants ideally collect their NINs at the enrolment centres where they enrolled, but in certain circumstances they can request the NINs be transferred to other centres of their choice.
- NIN can only be collected by an individual after biometric verification and not by proxy.
Below is a sample of the National Identity Number Slip (NIN Slip)
The part that is marked RED is your NIMC Tracking ID Number.
Here is a sample of the original National ID Card.
Forgotten your National ID Card Number?
If by any chance you forget your national ID card number and you are asking ‘How can I retrieve my NIN code?’, follow the instruction below.
You can dial *346# on your phone to retrieve your NIN.
Alternatively, you can visit any NIMC office close to you.
Note: SERVICE CHARGE IS #20
** Note – Your NIN is stored electronically within the chip on your National e-ID card and can only be accessed using an authorised card reader. The number printed on your card is NOT your NIN, it is the Primary Account Number (PAN) used for accessing your card’s payment feature once activated. **
Now that you have fully gotten your National identification number you will be required to link it with your MTN, 9MOBILE AIRTEL & GLO Mobile Number.
See the process on How to Link your NIN to your MTN, 9MOBILE AIRTEL & GLO Mobile Number here
NIMC Mobile App
The NIMC Mobile App is a new Mobile Identity ecosystem, published by the NIMC as a part of its Mobile Web Services (MWS). This Mobile app is presented to you by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria.
The new NIMC Mobile App, and the new National Identification Number slip are now available for public use. With the app you can confirm your National Identity Number (NIN).
The App provides a secure channel for all Nigerians and legal residents to easily verify and authenticate their identities on-the-go using smartphones. It also enables you to link your NIN to MTN, AIRTEL, GLO, 9MOBILE.
The App offers a built-in harmonisation process that allows for its use across other government services including the Nigerian Communication Commission, Federal Inland Revenue Service, Federal Road Safety Commission, and National Health Insurance Scheme, to mention a few”.
The new improved NIN slip is a pocket friendly and an easy to verify version of the NIN. It can be accessed via a self-service Portal, where people who already have been issued the NIN, can log in, download a PDF of the document in colour (if preferred), print and laminate as desired. The current NIN Slip will remain valid and will be gradually phased-out.
How to download NIMC Mobile App Apk
- Download the NIMC Mobile App Apk. You can download for Android devices from Google Play Store HERE. You can download for iPhone from the App Store HERE.
- Launch the app on your phone
- Enter your National Identity Number (NIN). Note that this is not your BVN. Do not enter your BVN here. BVN is NOT required here at all. If you do not remember your NIN, you can get it by dialing *346# from the phone line you registered it with.
- Enter your registered phone number.
- The app will display your national identity card, which includes your digital ID number.
Note that if you are using the app for the first time, you will be required to add a PIN to secure the app. You can print out your national ID card from the app at any time you wish.
How to Activate and Use NIN Digital ID Card On NIMC Mobile App
Now that you have download the NIMC App now you need to activate and use the app feature. No to worry we will put you through this process.
- Download the NIMC Mobile app on Google Play or Apple app store
- On access, you will be requested to input your NIN, after which the phone number linked to your NIN will be partially displayed
- You will receive an SMS containing the login credentials, e.g. “Your MWS Digital ID authentication credential. USER ID: AYLJXX-2379 OTP: 965860”
- Use the details to login – Setup your 6-digit login PIN
NIMC Mobile App APK Download – Frequently Asked Questions.
How much does it cost?
For anyone who has a Smartphone, the app is FREE. If you don’t have a Smartphone, you may still download your NIN slip in the new format.
What then are the Payment Plans for?
Anyone wishing to verify the credentials of another person, MUST purchase a subscription and be themselves known to the NIMC.
You the owner of the ID will ALWAYS have to approve any verification AND you will be notified when such takes place, and by whom.
Can I change my plan later?
Once you purchase a subscription, you may upgrade to a higher one (simply means more verification credits).
Do I need a contract?
Your NIN, UserID in the app and of course the subscription are all you need, because NIMC will always know who the verifier is.
Can i use the NIMC app to view my National Identity Number?
Yes, you can use the app to view your National Identity Number (NIN).
Post With by Insideschool Nigeria.Advertisement Get Insideschool Nigeria Post UTME Past Questions and Answers and secure your admission easily.
School Updates you Missed:
- University of Lagos (UNILAG) Cut Off Mark for All Courses 2020/2021 Admission Session
- Federal University Dutse (FUD) Post UTME / DE Screening Form for 2020/2021 Academic Session
- Ignatius Ajuru University Of Education (IAUE) Supplementary Admission into Some Programme for 2020/2021 Admission Exercise
- Igbinedion University (IUO) Post UTME/DE 2020/2021: Cut Off, Eligibility, Screening Date and Registration Details
- Ebonyi State University (EBSU) Supplementary Admission Form 2020/2021 Academic Session
Insideschool Nigeria is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@insideschoolng) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
Receive Alerts on: Whatsapp: +2347067983829
Stay Connected:Join Our Whatsapp Community (FREE)
Like Us On Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram
Connect With Students On Telegram
Join Our Mailing List(FREE) Join us