FG Consider Suspending NYSC Camps for 2 years – VP Osinbajo Committee: The Economic Sustainability Committee (ESC) led by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has called on the federal government to consider suspending the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) orientation camp exercises for two years.
In its report presented to President Muhammadu Buhari last week and seen by TheCable, the committee recommended the consideration of suspension of NYSC camps for 24 months.
The immediate focus in the Education sector is to address the disruptions caused by the pandemic and ensuing social distancing measures at all levels of education, the report read.
You may want to Check these opportunities before you proceed:
- World Bank Group and Financial Times Joint Global Blog/Essay Writing Competition 2021
- Jemila Abubakar Memorial Essay Competition 2021 for Nigerian Students [ Up to N125,000 in Cash Prizes]
- Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF) Entrepreneurship Programme 2021 for African Entrepreneurs [Seed funding of $5,000 in Capital]
- Edugrant Essay Competition 2021 for Senior Secondary School Students [ Up to N100,000 in Cash Prizes]
- Federal Government Scholarship Awards for Students in Nigerian University 2020/2021
Practical steps will be taken to minimise disruption to learning, utilising technology as appropriate. Specifically, virtual learning will be implemented (either online or through broadcast), virtual convocation ceremonies or issuance of certificates (with postponed ceremonies) should be implemented to continue educational progression.
In similar context, consideration will be given to suspending the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Orientation Camp Exercises for at least 24 months while allowing deployment to places of primary assignment.
This will ensure that there is no backlog in the National Service placement pipeline.
In March, NYSC camps were shut following the outbreak of the novel coronavirus in Nigeria.
A statement released by NYSC at the time said “the corps members shall be posted to commence their primary assignments forthwith, while they shall be invited back to the orientation camps when the situation improves”.
Only last week, the scheme submitted a proposal for reopening of its camps nationwide.
It is unclear if the federal government will take this portion of the Economic Sustainability Committee’s recommendation.
Post With by Insideschool Nigeria.
School Updates you Missed:
- Bingham University Post UTME / DE Screening Form 2020/2021 Announced
- Federal College of Education Okene Post UTME/DE Screening Form (In Affiliation with University of Ibadan) for 2020/2021 Academic Session
- Edo University Post UTME / DE Application Form for 2020/2021 Academic Session [UPDATED]
- Bauchi State University (BASU) Post-UTME / DE Application Form for 2020/2021 Academic Session
- University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) Direct Entry Screening Form 2020/2021 Announced
Insideschool Nigeria is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@insideschoolng) and stay updated with the latest headlines.
Receive Alerts on: Whatsapp: +2347067983829
Stay Connected:Join Our Whatsapp Community (FREE)
Like Us On Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram
Connect With Students On Telegram
Join Our Mailing List(FREE) Join us